ORIGIN OF LIFE (Highlights)
Research in Electron Paramagnetic Resonance and Ultra Violet/Visible Spectroscopy, conducted between 1968 and 1971
at the "Université des Sciences et Techniques, Lille 1", is published in 4 articles, one dissertation and one Thesis, specialty Physical Chemistry.
The action of active nitrogen on sulfur hexafluoride or hydrogen sulfide, studied with EPR, led to a new paramagnetic structure for the polymer of NS.
Active nitrogen on selenium atoms led to a rotational analysis of NSe and on tellurium atoms to anomalies in the radical NTe (1).
This research in Experimental Spectroscopy for the determination of molecular structures, triggered my analyses in Microwave Spectroscopy and Radioastronomy,
which was conducted in Melbourne, Australia between 1976 and 1980,
and led to the 1rst experimental description of the rotational spectrum of the amino-acid glycine.
With three other scientists of Monash University, we also published the 1rst search for this molecule in the molecular clouds of our Galaxy (2).
After this research on the Origin of Life considering extraterrestrial Space, I studied at Texas Tech University, the structure of liquid water which is an essential component of our living organisms (3.1).
In 1995, during the preparation of lectures for the International Space University, located on the campus of Strasbourg-Illkirch, (3.2),
I started to orientate my research towards the synthesis of molecules of life, at the bottom of the oceans near hydrotermal vents.
I considered the importance of energy (Discussions at the 1rst french meeting in Exobiology, Roscoff, 1997) and the link between the structure of water under
high pressure or in the supercritical state, and the formation of prebiotic molecules
(Student report, T. Witzel 1998; article Sci. & Techn. L'Harmattan p.583-591, 1999; oral, GDR Exobiologie, CNES, Sept.21-22, 1999; and article J Phys Cond. Matter, 2003).
Since 2003, I propose that the biological world requires the mineral world of rocks to form.
Considering the hydrothermal chemical evolution of rocks containing iron(II) monosulfides and iron(II)Mg silicates, in their interaction with anoxic and oxic water,
and under the excitation from cosmic radiation or from gamma and alpha radiation from radionuclides,
I propose minerals which may witness the formation of biological molecules.
After one year studying philosophy and ancient greek, at La Sorbonne, Paris,
I introduce the concept of geobiotropy to represent the evolution of rocks in symbiosis with the synthesis of prebiotic molecules (3.3).
1.   1968 - 1973
" Electron Paramagnetic Analysis and Rotational Analysis of the compounds formed during the reaction of active nitrogen on elements of the group VI" B
UNIVERSITE DE LILLE, FR
2.   1976 - 1980
"Rotational Spectroscopy Analysis of the Amino-Acid Glycine and Observations of the Interstellar Medium"
MONASH UNIVERSITY, Melbourne, AUS
3.   1985 - present
UNIVERSITE DE STRASBOURG, FR
3.1.  1986 - 1989
TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY, Lubbock, US
3.2.   1995 - 1996   M.P. BASSEZ     "Could Life on Earth have Originated in Space?" INTERNATIONAL SPACE UNIVERSITY, Strasbourg, FR
3.3.   1996 - present
3.3.1. M.P. BASSEZ
"La structure de l'eau supercritique et l'origine de la vie",
Oral Communication at CNRIUT'99 and article in
Science et Technologie: Regards Croisés, L'Harmattan, ISBN 2-7384-7367-9 583-591 (1999).
3.3.2. M.P. BASSEZ     "Is high pressure water the cradle of life?"
article, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 15, L353-L361 (2003)
* Poster at Exobio'03 (Des atomes aux planètes, sur les chemins de la vie) Propriano-FR (20-27 Sept 2003)
* Poster P12 at the National Exobiology Conference, Orléans, FR (22-24 May 2006) :
"L'Eau Polaire er Apolaire, un Solvant pour la Vie"
* Short Oral Communication at the Conference:L'Eau dans les milieux biologiques, Roscoff, FR (25-28 Oct.2006) :
"L'eau, sa Structure, sa Polarité et la Vie"
* Oral Communication at the 9th International Symposium on Water, Cannes, FR (26-28 June 2007) :
"Polar and apolar water, a solvent for life" .
3.3.3. M.P. BASSEZ
"Synthèse prébiotique dans les conditions hydrothermales" :
* CNRIUT'08, Lyon, FR, (29 May 2008) Open access Article (Thurs. 11h-12h40)
and Oral Communication
* Poster P2-6 at ISSOL'08, Firenze, IT, (24-29 Aug.2008): "Prebiotic synthesis under hydrothermal conditions"
and Origins of Life and Evolution of Biospheres, OLEB 39 (3-4), 223-225 (2009).
"Prebiotic synthesis under hydrothermal conditions"
C.R. Chimie 12 (6-7) p. 801-807 (2009).
3.3.4. M.P. BASSEZ*, Y. TAKANO, N. OHKOUCHI
"Organic analysis of peridotite rocks from Ashadze and Logatchev hydrothermal sites" :
* Open access Article     Int. J. Mol. Sci.10 (7) 2986-2998 (2009)
* Poster P43C-1441 (Planetary Science/Potential Biomarkers on Mars) at the
AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, US, (14-18 Dec.2009):
"Organic Analysis of Peridotite Rocks from the MAR"
* Poster at the Geobiology in Space Exploration Workshop, Marrakech, MO,
and at the
Origins'2011 Conference, Montpellier (04-08 July 2011):
"Detection of molecular biosignatures inside rocks".
3.3.5. M.P. BASSEZ*, Y. TAKANO, K. KOBAYASHI     "Prebiotic organic microstructures"  :
* Open access Article     OLEB 42 (4) 307-316 (2012)
* Posted on Nature Precedings , 21 July 2010 and 12 Nov. 2011
* Poster P2-34,
Origins'2011 Conference, Montpellier, FR, (04-08 July 2011)
* Poster P4, Gordon Research Conference on the Origin of Life
, Galveston, TX, (08-13 Jan.2012)
* Poster P2-05
12th European Workshop on Astrobiology, EANA'2012, European Astrobiology Network Association, Stockholm, SW, (15-17 Oct.2012).
3.3.6. M.P. BASSEZ     "Geobiotropy"  :
* Article: OLEB, on line March 2017, http://rdcu.be/qxSs   :"Anoxic and Oxic Oxidation of Rocks containing Fe(II)Mg-Silicates and Fe(II)-Monosulfides as Source of Fe(III)-minerals and Hydrogen. Geobiotropy"
* Conference held at the University of Strasbourg, (31 Jan. 2013) : "La Recherche de Vie dans l'Univers"     video
* Oral Communication, EGU'2013-22 - Vienna-AU, European Geosciences Union, Planetary and Solar System Sciences session PS8.1, (07-12 April 2013) :
"Geochemical origin of biological molecules"
* Oral Communication, EANA'2014 (Signatures of Life, from Gases to Fossils), Edinburgh, GB, (13-16 Oct.2014) :"Ferromagnesian rocks in association with carbonates as a signature for Life"
* Article, OLEB 45(1-2): 5-13 (2015) : "Water, Air, Earth and Cosmic Radiation"
* Poster, abstract 1853, 47th LPSC2016, Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, The Woodlands, TX, (21-25 March 2016): "Geobiotropy"
* Oral Communication, EANA'2016, Athens, GR, (27-30 Sept.2016) : "Geobiotropy: the evolution from the world of rocks to the world of life"
* Oral Communication, WRI'2016, Water-Rock Interaction International Symposium, Evora, PO, (16-21 Oct.2016): "Ferromagnesian silicate and ferrosulfide rocks as a source of magnetite and hydrogen",
Procedia Earth and Planetary Science 17, 492-495, 2017